Thursday, July 5, 2007

BFF? Not By a Longshot

So I have this "friend." I have to put "friend" in quotations because I'm seriously debating in my head whether or not our relationship constitutes actual friendship. I met her in high school a few years back, and even then we didn't necessarily click. She ended up having a stronger bond with a buddy of mine and they hung out more than she and I did. When we were together, the mutual friend served as a buffer, and we really didn't have to interact with one another. I was fine with that.

I graduated from high school before this girl. All of these "shes" and "hers" might get a little confusing, so for the purpose of this blog, I'll refer to this "friend" as "Shalana." During one of my college breaks, my mother wanted to introduce me to her good friend's granddaughter, who coincidentally was a senior at my alma mater. Surprise! It was Shalana. Her grandmother was all too pleased that we'd already made each other's acquaintance, and she encouraged me to take Shalana under my wing tell her all about college life.

The first few times we hung out, I chalked our awkward conversation to lack of familiarity. I mean- I was on a whole new level now- in college. Reminiscing about our high school glory days was a wash because we were in different grades and didn't really share the same experiences. Anyway as time went on, Shalana and I continued to hang out, but our relationship remained on the same awkward, superficial level. We never really shared secrets and the more I hung out with her, the more I started noticing things I didn't really like about her. She was kind of boring, self-absorbed and bossy. Not exactly traits I look for in BFFs. But due to the fact that I knew her for several years and our familial ties and close proximity, I felt obligated to continue our friendship.

I had a break from homegirl for about two years when she moved out of state. Avoiding her phonecalls was a lot easier. Sometimes she came back to New York to visit, but I would either flake out on her invites or make up excuses for not being able to join her. I was off scott-free- But not for long.

Shalana called me the other day, and I answered because 1) It had been about two years since we last spoke; and 2) I had recently experienced a tragedy and she did call to express her condolences, so the least I could do was thank her... six months later. Basically, Shalana called me to tell me that she was back in New York- to STAY, and she really thought we should meet up after work at a happy hour. I'd already made plans with my real friend, so I was covered. But she kind of used her bossy-wiles and invited herself to my outing. Once again, when we saw each other- it was like for the first time and after exchanging the usual formalities we were back to square one.

I seriously need to break it off with this girl. I cannot spend another strange minute with her. If she were a guy, we would've had sex until it got stale and been done with it all. This relationship has officially run its course. Now- how do I break it to her?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, interesting. Relationships/friendships all have a shelf life and some people ar just meant to be in your life for a certain time. When either party tries to push that time longer, things just get weird. My dad and I were just talking the other day about this. I'd keep ignoring her calls until I wore her out. Yeah, I know not really a stand-up way to do it but how many people can actually tell another person to their face, I don't think this friendship is working out? That's a little cold. I'd hope time (and her other friends) would do the trick.

Oh, and I'm looking at class pis as soon as I get home!

The Blahgger said...

Yep. It's tough...especially with someone you were tight with for so long. I stopped accepting the phone calls of a close college friend after she "forgot" to show up to my grad school celebration dinner. I should have cut her off long ago after years of her standing me up for a string of border-line abusive boyfriends. It's much easier to break up with guys, though, than with your girls because you don't really want to lose a friend. I never mind drop kicking a man to the curb!